Monday, June 27, 2011

BOOTMGR is Missing

Today I was playing around with "Disk Management" where I came to see a system reserved partition with 100MB marked as active. This partition didn't contain the OS at all, so without any second thoughts I made the active partition as C:\ from the existing system reserved partition. After I re-booted I was dumb folded seeing this error, which means I had stepped off on the wrong foot. 


So how to get my OS back? after going through stacks of DVD's, Luckily I got my Windows 7 installation disk. I loaded the disk and re-booted. 
  • In the initial screen I selected "English" as the language of choice and clicked next.

  • In the next screen I selected "repair your computer" (a link on the left bottom) which showed up a window with a progress bar, trying to find my existing Win7 OS. After some nail biting moments the "Repair process" showed up my existing OS in the list, thank God; before that I was thinking about installing all those softwares and drivers which is going eat my whole day.

  • After selecting my OS, I clicked Next which brought up a "System Recovery" window.

  • Under "System Recovery" window, I selected "Startup Repair" which kicked started the repair process. Finally it showed a message that the repair ws complete. When went through the log files, the last entry was "Fixed missing\corrupted boot loader". Yes that's what I was expecting. I restarted the machine and to my disbelief the system did boot into my OS. WOW that did brought a great relief to me.
I was using this repair wizard for the first time in life as never before I had a chance like this as most of the time, my system had crashed to the extent of where chances of recover were lame. But this time it was different, seems like I had started to play safe, at least for the repair wizard to get my system on track.

No comments: