Monday, June 6, 2011

Sorting out Issue with Windows 7 Audio

Today I was after some tweaks to get my machine for top notch performance, for which I had to go through stuff like stopping unnecessary(optional) services, taking out unwanted applications from start up etc etc. After all the tweaks and optimizations I restarted my system, everything was perfectly fine and the system booted much faster than previously, so far so good. 

I fired up windows media player to listen to my favorite tracks, boom!!! the media player was shouting, it cant find any audio device in my system. Oh God, something had went terribly wrong while doing those tweaks. So the next question was, which application or service did I accidently stop or un-installed? To make things worse, I forgot to record the tweaks I made, which I usually does, so that in worst case I could identify where exactly I might have went wrong. 

Finally after a lot of trial and error, I was able to get my audio playback ready. This time everything was on-record to avoid further pitfalls. I zeroed in where exactly I went wrong. Here are the steps I did to get my audio playback back on stage. Note, you need to have administrator privileges to get what I am about to discuss here.
  1. Open "services.msc" (Windows Services Console)
  2. Find the following services and set all of its "Startup Type" to "Automatic" and Start each service in the exact order as below.
    1. "Power"
    2. "Multimedia Class Scheduler"
    3. "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder"
    4. "Windows Audio"
That's it, the above steps worked for me, hopefully this should work for others too.

No comments: